The Alcohol and Drug Services Division implemented the System of Care on July 1, 1998 to:
- Improve the quality of services to Sacramento County residents
- Ensure the provision of appropriate level of services
- Tailor treatment to meet needs at all levels
- Better manage Sacramento County AOD resources
A continuum of services is provided which include pre-treatment interventions, detoxification, residential and day treatment, outpatient counseling, and aftercare services. Thorough assessments, treatment matching and consistent use of AOD tools are key components.
County operated direct services are focused in the following three areas:
- Conducting AOD assessments and determining appropriate level of treatment.
- Operating group services aimed at providing information, education and support for clients at a "use" level with minimal AOD related problems. These groups can also double as pre-treatment services for clients who have higher level of care needs and are not treatment ready. Pre-treatment services are also available on a limited individual basis.
- Consultation, treatment authorization, referral and technical assistance.
Clients that have higher level of care needs, e.g., "abuse" and "chemical dependent" are primarily served through community based AOD providers. Providers are encouraged to develop collaborative relationships with other providers to promote smooth transitions for clients as their level of treatment needs change (ideally, decrease). In addition, community-based providers deliver prevention, outreach, and early intervention services.
Clients who need Alcohol and Drug services enter the System of Care by participating in a preliminary assessment. The assessment can be completed by any of the following staff at the locations below:
- AOD Division staff at 4875 Broadway, Monday-Friday, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m., on a drop-in basis
- AOD Division staff located off-site at Neighborhood Multi-Service Centers
- CalWORKs AOD staff located at the Department of Human Assistance Offices
For further information about System of Care, please contact:
Reina Hudson, Program Coordinator
4875 Broadway, Rm. 129, Sacramento, CA 95820