Sacramento State – Psychological Counseling Services – Community Resources


Urgent Services

Suicide Prevention
From Sacramento, call (916) 368-3111 day or night. From Auburn, call (530) 885-2300 From Lincoln, call (916) 645-8866. From Roseville, call (916) 773-3111.

Women Escaping a Violent Environment (WEAVE) provides counseling for men and women and a safe house for women and children. Call their 24-hour crisis line at (916) 920-2952.

Social Services
A service of the UCD Medical Center. Open from 8am-4:30pm, but has emergency after hours psychiatric services. Call: (916) 732-3637.

Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Sacramento
Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Sacramento is a nonprofit organization that provides nonsectarian crisis intervention to the community at large and to law enforcement. (916) 857-1801.

Placer County Women’s Center
Placer County Women’s Center offers counseling for domestic violence and sexual assault. They provide both Spanish and English speaking staff. Their 24-hour crisis line is (916) 652-6558.

Placer County Mental Health Services
Call (916) 784-6400. Their 24-hour crisis line is (530) 889-7240.

El Dorado Women’s Center in Placerville
El Dorado Women’s Center in Placerville is a center for domestic violence and sexual assault. They provide both Spanish and English speaking staff. Their 24-hour crisis line is (530) 626-1450.

El Dorado County Mental Health
Their 24-hour crisis line is (530) 622-3345.

Nevada County Domestic Violence Crisis Line
A new shelter was opened in April, please call for information. Their number is (530) 272-3467.

Nevada County Mental Health
Their 24-hour crisis line is (530) 265-5811.

Return to the top of this page

Counseling Agencies

The Anxiety Treatment Center
Broad range of treatment for various disorders and anxiety issues. Located in Sacramento. Call (916) 366-0647.

Sacramento County Mental Health
Offers mental health services, support and referrals for adults and children. Call (916) 875-7070.

Family Service Agency
Family Service Agency, located near Watt and Folsom Blvd provides counseling for children, adults and families. MediCal is accepted and a sliding fee is provided based on monthly income. MediCal clients please call (916) 875-1055, all others may call (916) 368-3080.

Fallcreek Counseling Assoc.
Director: Debra Moore, Ph.D. Sliding scale, all ages, NO Medi-Cal. Diverse staff. Call: (916) 344-0900 or visit

Yolo County Mental Health
Provides mental health services as well as drug/alcohol rehabilitation and other services. West Sacramento: (916) 375-6350. Woodland: (530) 666-8630.

Yolo Family Service Agency
YFSA is committed to strengthening family life in Yolo County.  YFSA has developed a variety of programs and services to meet the needs of families in Yolo County. Services are available to anyone who works or resides in Yolo County and are also offered in Spanish.  For services in Woodland call (530) 662-2211, Davis (530) 753-8674 or Sacramento (916) 375-1254. Fees may be adjusted according to family income.

New Pathways (formerly Catholic Social Services)
Provides counseling for children, adults and families of all denominations. Their standard fee is $70, but they also offer a sliding fee based on income. They are located on Newman court in Sacramento and can be reached at (916) 452-1218.

Family Study Center 
The Family Study Center offers counseling for adults, children and families. They do offer a sliding fee based on income. They are located on X Street in Sacramento and can be reached at (916) 456-4412.

Jewish Family Services
Jewish Family Services provides counseling for children, adults and families of all denominations, with a sliding fee that goes as low as $25 based on income. They are located on Howe Avenue, and can be reached at (916) 921-1921.

Carmichael Presbyterian Counseling Center
Carmichael Presbyterian Counseling Center provides counseling for all ages and all denominations. They are located near Marconi and Fair Oaks. Call: (916) 483-2989.

La Familia Counseling Center 
La Familia offers free short and long term counseling for all ethnicities. Located on 34th Street in Sacramento. Call (916) 452-3601

White House Counseling Center
To use the services of White House, you must live in the San Juan Unified School District. They accept MediCal for children only. A sliding fee is available based on need. They also provide individual parent skill training. They are located on Sutter Avenue in Carmichael and can be reached at (916) 971-7640.

California State University, Sacramento – Center for Counseling and Diagnostic Services
Provides for fee counseling and diagnostic testing to the community. Fees are based on services provided. Counseling is provided by graduate students. For information call (916) 278-6252.

Asian Pacific Community Counseling
Free services provided to the Asian/Pacific Islander community. Located on Power Inn Road, call (916) 383-6783.

Victim Assistance Program
If you or a family member have been the victim of a violent crime, (examples include rape, assault, domestic violence, stalking, armed robbery, victim of a drunk driver, molest or sexual abuse), and a police report has been filed, you may qualify for funds for counseling. They will refer you to several therapists convenient to your location. Call: (916) 874-5701.

Offers short and long-term counseling for victims of sexual abuse. There is a $45 intake fee, then a sliding scale fee of $40 – $90 based on income. Call: (916) 344-0249.

Cross Creek Counseling
Offers family counseling, individual counseling and anger management as well as counseling for victims of crimes. They operate on a sliding scale fee starting at $25. They are located at 8421 Auburn Blvd. #3 in Citrus Heights. Call (916) 722-6100 or visit their website at for more information.

Southeast Asian Assistance Center (SAC)
Located on 24th Street in Sacramento. Call (916) 421-1036.

VIVA Counseling Services
Volunteers in Victim Assistance provides adult counseling by MFT interns. Services are available for victims or family members of a person who has experienced a serious trauma or crime. A sliding scale is available based on certain criteria. 717 K Street, Sacramento. Call: (916) 662-5744 or (916) 489-3333 for an appointment.

Return to the top of this page

Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation

Alcoholics Anonymous
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) 24-hour hotlines: Sacramento (916) 454-1100 or Grass Valley (530) 272-6287. AA provides free meetings, call for times and locations.

Al-Anon Counterpart to AA. This group is for friends or family members of someone with a drinking problem. Free. In Sacramento, call (916) 334-2970. In Auburn, call (530) 888-3645.

Narcotics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous Sacramento hotline: (916) 732-2299

Support skills are provided for those battling anxiety and depression associated with alcohol use/abuse. Weekly meetings are held for adults. Meetings in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, Modesto and Woodland. Call (916) 483-5616.

Strategies for Change
Formerly known as the Chemical Dependency for Women. Provides free childcare for those who are using clinic services. Offers education, advocacy, support and treatment for individuals who have dependency on drugs/alcohol. Two locations. Call: (916) 448-2951 or (800) 448-2951 for more information.

Sacramento Alcoholism Center 
Located on Broadway in Sacramento, call (916) 874-9754.

The Effort
The Effort offers outpatient counseling and is located at 1820 J Street in Sacramento. There is a $25 intake fee then a sliding scale fee based on income. Call (916) 325-5556.

Return to the top of this page

Mental Health Support Groups

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
National organization with a Sacramento Chapter that meets at Sutter Center for Psychiatry the second and fourth Wednesday each month at 7:30 pm. Contact Marilyn or Andrea for more information at (916) 875-5644.

Toughlove Parent Support Groups
Toughlove is a free support group for parents who want guidance and support in handling out of control children, teens, or adult children. Meetings are held in several locations. Adults only. No childcare is provided. Call (916) 483-8508.

TOPS (Take Off Weight Sensibly)
TOPS: Helping people reach and maintain doctor-prescribed weight goals. Meetings at many locations. (530) 527-7541. or

Compulsive Eater’s Anonymous
Compulsive Eater’s Anonymous follows a 12-step approach. This is a free service. (916) 733-2149. Overeater’s Anonymous (OA): (916) 349-7144.

Placer County Alliance for the Mentally Ill
Meets the first Monday of each month. Call: (916) 554-0554.

Return to the top of this page

Grief Support

Bereavement Network Resources of Sacramento
Bereavement Resources provides information and referrals to groups and services related to grief. Free weekly meetings. Call (916) 557-5882.

Compassionate Friends
This is a free support group for parents who are grieving the death of a child. Call (916) 457-4096.

Return to the top of this page

Psychiatric Facilities

Heritage Oaks CPC Hospital
Heritage Oaks offers care for adolescents, adults and geriatrics. They are a short-term care facility. They also have an acute crisis inpatient unit. Located on Auburn Blvd in North Sacramento, their number is (916) 489-3336.

Sierra Vista CPC Hospital  
Sierra Vista offers a partial hospital inpatient program for alcohol and drug dependency and intensive inpatient treatment for both adults and adolescents. Located in South Sacramento, call: (916) 423-2000.

Sutter Center for Psychiatry
Sutter Center for Psychiatry offers acute inpatient mental health care.Located on Folsom Boulevard in Sacramento, their number is (916) 386-3000. You can also call (800) 801-3077 for 24-hour service.

Kaiser Hospital Department of Psychiatry
Kaiser Hospital Department of Psychiatry offers short and long term care. They offer such classes as yoga, tai chi and pain management. They also provide one on one adult and child psychiatry as well as neurological testing. Their 24-hour number is (916) 973-5300.

Other Mental Health and General Health Clinics

Sacramento Community Health Center
Low cost, sliding scale health clinic. Primarily gerneral health, but some psychiatric services may be provided depending on the doctors on duty. 6950 65th Street in Sacramento. Call: (916) 422-5200.

Visions Unlimited
Visions Unlimited provides counseling for all ages as well as medication management. They accept MediCal and provide sliding fees based on income. Call (916) 393-2203.

Terkensha Associates (North Area Mental Health Clinic)
Terkensha Associates is located on Grand Avenue and provides counseling and medication management. They accept MediCal and provide sliding fees based on income. Call: (916) 922-9868.

Planned Parenthood
Offers information and health services. STD testing/treatment, birth control, pregnancy testing and referrals also available. Dowtown Sacramento: (916) 444-7966, South area: (916) 452-7305, North Highlands: (916) 332-5715 or Roseville: (916) 781-3310.

Return to the top of this page

Social Services

Adult Protective Services
Provides referrals after investigating cases of physical, sexual or financial abuse. Call (916) 874-9377.

County AIDS/HIV Hotline
Sacramento, Yolo and Placer counties. Call: (888) 259-4448 or (800) 367-2437.

Child Protective Services  (916) 875-5437

Return to the top of this page

Elder Care

Senior Connection
Senior Care offers help with care giving decisions. Some services are free. Call (916) 334-1072.

Community Information Center
Community Information Center is a comprehensive information and referral service for the Sacramento area. You can reach them at (800) 510-2020.

Area 4 Agency for the Aging
State funded organization that provides helpful information for those seeking a caregiver. Call (916) 486-1876.

Return to the top of this page

Gender Issues

Sacramento Gender Association
Blue rose chapter. PO Box 162907 in Sacramento, CA 95816.

Leal Abbot, LCSW
About Change Counseling Service. 601 University Ave. #145 in Sacramento.

Lambda Community Center
1927 L Street in Sacramento. Call: (916) 442-0185.

Legal and Financial Issues

ASI Legal Services
Free to Sac State students with a valid One Card. Drop-in available with an accredited attorney. Call: (916) 278-7916

Family Law Center
Mediation and law services tailored to your needs through this law group. Call: (916) 488-5088.

Noel Edson
Call: (916) 564-9229

Consumer Credit Counseling Service
CCCS offers free credit counseling and classes. This is a non-profit community service organization. Call (800) 736-2227.

Return to the top of this page

Sacramento State – Psychological Counseling Services – Community Resources

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s